Class of '67 Reunion

This is the Reunion blog for the Saint Bernard High School Class of 1967. Welcome! This is an independent site, and is not affiliated with Saint Bernard.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

It's A Small, Poignant World

Just wanted to pass along a little poignant, 'small world' story that happened Monday evening, the day after our little Reunion get together at Captain Scott's on Sunday. Some of you may know that I am a 'car guy' hobbyist, with a couple of old BMWs. I attend a lot of local shows, and various other shows around the Northeast. Last night I attended the Ocean Beach Cruise Night, which I often do. A young fella (40-ish is young, ok) with a thick Irish accent had an interest in my car, and we started to chat. He lives in New London, and, as we chatted, I discovered that he happens to know a few folks that I know, including Joan Sullivan, and he also knew the name Pierce Kepple! Well, it turns out that this fella is married to Bill Croteau's (Class of 1967) daughter! Bill Croteau from Stonington passed away a couple of years ago at his home in Ohio. I told him that we had discovered that fact, to our dismay, last year when we were seeking to contact all of our classmates. I told him about the Reunion, and that we had had a solemn Moment of Rememberance for the classmates who had passed, with a slide show, and that Bill was part of that Remembrance. I also told him that Bill Croteau's name had come up several times in our committee discussions--- I think it was Joe Turner---- as someone that we hoped to contact and invite. We were saddened to learn of his passing. We ended up chatting for about an hour there in the parking lot. HIs wife (Bill's daughter) is presently out of town, but I asked him to send along our fond regards and condolences to her, on the loss of her father, and our friend and classmate, Bill Croteau. What a remarkable, serendipitous encounter. William Croteau, SBHS Class of 1967, Requiescat in Pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment